Tuesday, January 19, 2010


When I think of sadness, I think of the color black. Automatically funerals come to mind, as well as the bleakness of the night. When you Google “sad images,” at least half of the pictures do not contain color, just shades of black. The picture to the right displays exactly how I feel when I think of the color black, while using only shades of black. The decision to pick the color black was simple for me. Every other color can be associated with something that makes me happy, however I can’t recall anything black that makes me truly ecstatic.

When I think of happiness, I think of bright bold colors, in particular the color orange. I associate happiness with the color orange simply because it is never generally related to sad or horrible things, and tends to be cheery. I understand that red is also a bright and bold color and can be associated with happiness, but it can also be linked to murder scenes and blood. Yellow is also an option, but in all honestly it tends to be kind of bland for me sometimes, even sometimes blah. With the picture to the left, how can you feel anything but happiness in my opinion? There is nothing but the sunset and the horizon in nothing but the most stunning shade of orange.

I believe the camera angle for a picture associated with happiness should be a direct shot. Simply to capture all the happiness and colors, as well as the background. An high angle shot would be too daunting, and a low angle shot would make the picture seem inappropriate. Inappropriate in the sense that the subject(s) of the picture would seem bigger or better than the viewers and that is not something that I would associate with happiness. So basically just a simple, direct, eye-level angle would be suitable.

For a sad picture, I believe that either a high angle shot or an eye-level angle would be most appropriate. I believe a high angle shot could capture the feeling that something is above the subject(s) and that can make for a sense of sadness. However, I also feel that a direct angle could capture everything such as the subject(s) facial expressions or body positioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment